Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The backwards life

It dawned on me last night while cleaning up my tools how backwards the life of a home renovator really is. All my tools and supplies are comfortably living in my house, while all my furniture is in the shed out back. Then there's my kitchen. It's serviceable the way it is, I have running water, cooking appliances, but I want to take that all away in the name of beauty. Same thing goes for my bathroom. There are places in this world where a dirt floor and a fire pit are all that's required. Who am I to say that carpet is really needed when concrete is more than many have.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Indeed. Alas, the way the economy is heading, more people might be headed towards dirt floors and fire pits :-(

We've been living more of a sideways life, with both tools and furniture shuffling around the house as needed. We still have a normal, functioning kitchen, but after Christmas that will change...

Andi said...

I've become a ninja in the order of cooking without a stove. It does help that half of the stuff we got as wedding gifts were small kitchen appliances. And the other half were kitchen gadgets. :P