Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Now that the rehab money is finally in (it only took 2 months) the real work is finally beginning to get started. The current goal is to go through the house room by room and get them to a livable state. It started this weekend with the installation of some wonderful par can lights in the rec room. While I understood the theory of electricity, I wasn't 100% on the practical application of said theory. It was pretty easy though. Step 1, cut holes in the drywall for the new lights and wires. The one mistake made here was not giving enough thought to keeping the drywall cutouts whole and making sure there was a ceiling joist within the cut out to re affix the piece. We could have used fishtape to run the wires, but there were places where the wire had to run through the joists, and the insulation would have reeked havoc on the fishtape. So using a little 4" circular saw set to 1/2" deep the holes were all cut out. Step 2, putting all the new fixtures and wires in. Again pretty easy. Eric wanted to use all of the new construction type junction boxes and light fixtures saying they were more stable in the end than the retrofit type so I think the holes are all bigger than if the retro stuff was used as we had to swing a hammer around in the wall. So the 2 par cans went up, nailed to the ceiling joists. They're kinda fun in that the mounts expand to fit what ever distance apart your joists are. A new junction box went in the wall, a new breaker in the panel (our attempt to organize the electrical in the house). Then wire was run from the panel to the switch, then from the switch to light 1 then from light 1 to light 2, all pretty simple. Step 3, putting back the drywall. This is where the chaos happened. As I said, the drywall was cut without any thought to putting it back up, so I got what I could up and filled in the gaps with Great Stuff. I know this is the WRONG way to do it, but I'm good at plaster work and I think I can get it flat. I hope...

No comments: