Monday, November 24, 2008

Paint stripping, for the first time


This is my back door. The window was broken and it didn't quite fit right in the frame. Down it came. The joint that was loose and causing it not to fit right was repaired (nothing a little glue and a clamp couldn't fix) and the yuck ucky mucky paint was stripped. My hats off to those of you with the ornate moldings that you've stripped, I don't know how you do it. I decided to go the chemical route. Wipe on and 1/2 an hour later scrape off. It worked pretty well, it took the whole tin to do one side of the door though. Each spot needed 2 applications of the stuff, and it had to be put on quite thickly to get a result. The only problem was the ribbed molding around the door inset, the stripper hardly took anything off, and the rest had to be sanded off. After Stripping the door got sanded down, and a coat of linseed oil while I wait for my alanine dyes to arrive. The goal is for a pretty dark finish. My hope is that the dyes mixed with some shellac are going to do the trick. We also replaced the glass that had been broken while the house was vacant. Home Depot won't cut glass for you to size, luck for me at 8:00 on a Friday night, Lowes does. The trim around the window was removed, glaziers putty applied, window set in, more putty, then the trim nailed in place. The glass that Lowes caries is pretty thin, I was so worried that nailing the trim in was going to break the glass, but it survived. The putty that comes in the tubes is pretty runny, to err on the safe side of caution, I applied quite a bit, and it formed putty stalagmites. I'm not sure how long to let it harden before it gets scraped off.

No comments: