Monday, November 17, 2008

Rooftop adventures


The roof is done. There is not a missing shingle and the leaky drain pipe has been fixed! Working on the roof was harder on my body than I expected, I got owies, but the roofing process its self wasn't too hard. Remove loose shingles, starting at the bottom nail new ones down till you get to the top. The top row was the hardest, lifting the row above without tearing them was a little tricky. I'm just happy that we had a warm sunny weekend. Seems like as soon as something gets fixed, another problem is found. While I was cooking dinner Saturday night the kitchen light died, come to find out that it died because the insulation has rotted and cracked so they were touching...I have no idea how much of this is going on throughout the house, The Boyfriend expects that it's all through the attic and I'm not looking forward to finding out he's right. I also killz'd some of the floor that used to have glued on carpet. I'm hoping this will reduce the stench and also stop your shoes from sticking to the floor until I can put down new tile. Ohhhh....(daydream time) it's gonna be so nice all tiled and purdy.

...and because I did the floor (since one thing fixed = one thing broken) the hot water tank has died again. What we came up with was that the top element has died (ohms across the terminals = infinity) the bottom element is just barely chugging along (ohms = 2.6, I have no idea what they're supposed to be but more like 5 I think) so it took 2 days for the bottom element to create the hot water in the tank, then I had a shower and so long hot water. So 2 new elements were ordered, hopefully the switches are ok on them, but the elements only cost $5.00 a piece not the $25 that I expected. Tonight the tank's going to get drained, new elements installed and woohoo for hot showers!

On another note...hooray for Craigs list and the bounty that it holds...new (to me) washer & dryer set that looks fairly new for $150 !!!! No laundromat for me! Going to pick them up tonight!

No comments: